SIGOMA responds to Birmingham's S114 notice
Posted on September 12, 2023
Cllr Sir Stephen Houghton appeared on Channel 4 News and ITV News at 10 to highlight the current pressures the local government sector is facing in the wake of Birmingham Councils issuing a Section 114 notice.
You can watch our Chair's appearance on Channel 4 News here.
Press coverage of Birmingham Council also highlighted the results of our recent survey of members that found that 10% of our members are at risk of issuing a Section 114 notice this financial year.
You can read some of this coverage below:
- ITV News: Birmingham City Council bankruptcy: What does it mean for the city?
- The New European: Britain's next crisis is in our town halls
- The Independent: Birmingham residents warned ‘all bets are off’ on cuts as city council effectively bankrupt
- The Guardian: Birmingham city council declares itself in financial distress
- The Mail: The English councils that have gone 'bankrupt': Birmingham becomes the latest authority to run out of cash amid warnings dozens more could follow - is your local authority at risk?
- The Observer: The Observer view on Birmingham council: it won’t be the last to fail until local government funding is overhauled